As a lifelong learner, TEC Chair Gregory Bird believes in the value – and power – of education. His passion for learning, keen business savvy and entrepreneurial spirit are inspiring qualities he freely shares with his TEC group members.
Greg has a successful track record of over 30 years in IT, joining IBM Canada’s mainstream computer division after graduating from the University of Alberta’s Business School.
From there, he joined his father’s business, Time Business, which he later purchased, expanded and grew into a thriving IT business. Today, Time Business offers the latest technology in point of sale systems, liquor and beer control systems, and parking control equipment.
With a passion for exploring new opportunities, Greg encourages his members to probe both the emotional and business side of issues. In his words, “Accountability is key to all CEOS, and a TEC group is the only place they can get it. There is no other place where you are surrounded by unbiased and agenda-free people, who all are there to help and learn. Solutions are easy once a problem is understood and that is the secret to my TEC group: investing the necessary time to truly understand the issue.”
TEC Group Vision
To enhance the personal and professional lives of members by offering a safe place to explore. “Our group values include integrity, honesty, openness and a willingness to share and help. Members must be willing to be vulnerable, challenge ideas and have an insatiable thirst for knowledge.”
- Lives in Edmonton with his wife Sue and his children, Spencer and Annika
- Bachelor of Commerce and MBA from the University of Alberta
- Longstanding member of the Alberta Golf Association/RCGA
- Devotes his time to supporting his kids’ sports activities: coaching hockey, managing two basketball teams and driving/attending up to six games per week
- Served in many board positions with his alma mater, including time spent on the founding board of the U of A’s Business Alumni Association, and many community associations