Mark Terrill is recognized as a strong, supportive leader. Over the course of his 35-year career in the insurance industry, Mark has built and grown three different companies. His ability to attract and retain the best talent and his long-term vision has ensured his companies are built to last.
Mark quickly distinguished himself in the insurance industry when he acquired the brokerage where he was working. Within a few years as President, he expanded Thompson & Co., organically and through acquisition to ultimately negotiate a merger with another firm. Mark immediately began another brokerage business, eventually merging with Jones Brown. In 2007, he became President of this leading private Canadian brokerage and became its CEO in 2010.
As a young entrepreneur, Mark joined the CEO group of TEC Canada founder, Dr. Lynn Tanner. He was the longest-standing member until deciding to continue his involvement as a TEC Chair. Mark has witnessed and played a part in many of the compelling experiences that change the business and personal lives of TEC members. As a Chair, he describes himself as “all-in,” caring deeply for his members while driving their experience forward through accountability and fresh ideas.
TEC Group Vision
For his TEC 200 group, Mark welcomes successful executives looking to take their business to the next level and who are willing to grow in every part of their lives. For Mark’s SAGE group, ideal members are transitioning executives or entrepreneurs whose days of operating a business full-time may be drawing to a close, but who still wish to be engaged with their peers in relevant discussions. The group will gain sources of information on legacy issues such as family business or wealth transfer, and explore questions around finding fulfilment in the next phase of their lives.
- Lives in Calgary with his wife, Ellen; he has a son, David, and two stepchildren, Stephanie and Jordan
- Enjoys participating and watching sports including squash, golf, hiking and biking
- He is a Flames season ticket holder and devoted Toronto Blue Jays fan
- Serves on many boards, including President of his Rotary Club and Chairman of the Calgary Parks Foundation
- BA (Honours) from the University of Toronto, CIP designation, Graduate Certificate in Executive Coaching from Royal Roads University