TEC CANADA AT THE 2023 BUSINESS TRANSITIONS FORUM (BTF)
Since its inception in 2015, the BUSINESS TRANSITIONS FORUM (BTF) has been an instrumental force in guiding thousands of businesses toward successful M&A strategies and tactics. With a strong presence across six major Canadian cities including Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, and Halifax, BTF has continued to expand its reach and impact.
This year, BTF Alberta is proud to bring together a select group of exceptional CEOs and business owners for its sixth consecutive annual event. Over the course of two days, attendees will have the unique opportunity to network with like-minded individuals and share their personal stories, while also learning from a diverse range of industry experts. Topics covered will include mergers & acquisitions (M&A), business succession planning, and capital raising, among others.
In this blog post, we will provide a sneak peek into the highly anticipated highlights of this year’s conference and a preview of the invaluable insights that will be shared by the TEC Canada community.
APRIL 12, 2023 | CONFERENCE PANELISTS
The 6th annual Business Transitions Forum in Alberta promises to offer attendees a wealth of invaluable insights. They can look forward to engaging breakout sessions with these featured panellists from the TEC Canada community:
TRANSITION STORIES: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY
In this session, attendees will hear from a panel of business owners who have gone through a transition with their businesses—including the President & CEO of TEC Canada, Todd Millar. Hear what advice Todd and his fellow panellists would give fellow entrepreneurs and what they would change if they were to do it all again.
Panel discussions will also include insights on:
- What they wish they had known at the beginning of their transition journey and what would they have done differently
- Did they get the price they asked for based on timing and deal terms
- Key learnings they have brought into their next endeavours
- The personal side of post-transition
Learn more here.
STRUCTURING YOUR BUSINESS TO SELL: ARE YOU READY?
Knowing if you can afford to sell, and when you are ready to take the leap is the most difficult decision for many business owners.
This session will feature panellists that include Wilson Acton, Managing Partner of Tall Grass Ventures and TEC Canada member, and will look at real-world examples surrounding:
- How to structure your company well in advance of a potential sale or recapitalization
- What options to consider to reap the benefits and avoid pitfalls
- Tactics to avoid common post-sale surprises (… and unexpected tax bills)
- Wealth management tips and managing former business expenses post-transition
- Preparing for the emotional rollercoaster of transition
Learn more here.
TRANSITIONING A FAMILY BUSINESS
Family businesses are unique in that transitioning them to the next generation is a complex, often deeply emotional, endeavour.
In this session, second-generation business owners, including Dean Koeller, President, Calvert Home Mortgage Investment Corporation and TEC Canada Member, will share their recent experiences and perspectives in taking over the family business. Insights will also include:
- What measures do you need to be taking to professionalize your family-owned and operated firm?
- How are you supporting a shift in leadership?
- How do you ensure you have the right governance in place?