To support Canadian business leaders as they navigate the challenges and opportunities presented by COVID-19, this post is regularly updated with resources and insights from global experts.
Updated Thursday, November 26th, 2o20
Canadian Revenue Agency Opens Applications for Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy
Announced on November 23rd 2020, the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS) provides businesses, non-profits, and charities direct rent relief if they have been impacted by COVID-19. The Canadian Revenue Agency has also launched a CERS online calculator and application to guide CERS applicants through a straightforward process. Organizations can apply for the new subsidy for the period from September 27 to October 24, 2020, through the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) My Business Account, or Represent a Client portals. Applications for the second CERS period (October 25 to November 21, 2020) will open on November 30.
Additional information about the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy, per the Government of Canada’s website, includes:
- The new CERS is a successor to the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) and delivers direct, targeted, and accessible rent support to qualifying organizations affected by COVID-19 without the need to claim the assistance through their landlords.
- The new rent subsidy supports businesses, charities, and non-profits that have suffered a revenue drop by providing support up to a maximum of 65% of eligible expenses.
- Qualifying organizations that were required to shut down or significantly limit their activities under a public health order will have access to Lockdown Support, a top-up subsidy of 25%, meaning that they could receive rent or property expenses support of up to 90%.
- Eligible expenses include commercial rent, property taxes (including school taxes and municipal taxes), property insurance, and interest on commercial mortgages (subject to limits) for a qualifying property, less any subleasing revenues. Any sales tax (e.g., GST/HST) component of these costs is not an eligible expense.
- The rent subsidy parameters apply until December 19, 2020, with future parameters in 2021 to be adapted and targeted as needed.
- Applicants can visit CRA login services to create a My Business Account or Represent a Client account and apply for the CERS.
To view all of the Government of Canada’s supports for Canadians and businesses facing hardship due to COVID-19, click here.
While the coronavirus continues to spread quickly, it is important to remember that only a small percentage of patients need special treatment to recover. Trusted health experts continue to emphasize that the general population shouldn’t panic and should instead focus on practicing proper hygiene, such as hand-washing, refraining from touching the facial area, and wearing a mask when able.
View our full library of COVID-19 resources here.